Updated: Apr 29
Scrapstore Clothing Outlet
Job Title: Sales & Customer Service Assistant
Hours: 30 hours per week
Salary: £8.91 per hour
Project: Swindon Children’s Scrapstore
Accountable to: Store Manager & Chief Executive Officer
Swindon Children’s Scrapstore is a local community resource centre and registered charity which provides a service for over 200 community organisations and over 50 local businesses, by acting as a broker for clean re-usable waste. The Scrapstore has over 35 years of experience of promoting waste minimisation, reuse and recycling.
Scrapstore is managed by a small staff group and with varied roles. In addition, Scrapstore offers volunteering opportunities to over 20 volunteers. The Sales and Customer Service Assistant will be expected to work as part of this team with the aims of the project and all of its staff and volunteers.
Interact with customers to provide and process information in response to enquiries, concerns and requests about products and services. Sales Assistant duties include selling, restocking and merchandising. The goal is to provide high class customer service and to increase charities growth and revenue through sales maximisation.
Main Job Tasks and Responsibilities
· Welcome and greet customers.
· Manage point-of-sale processes.
· Being responsible for processing cash and card payments.
· Balancing cash registers with receipts.
· Dealing with customer refunds.
· Ensure high levels of customer satisfaction through excellent sales service.
· Maintain outstanding store condition and visual merchandising standards.
· Maintain a fully stocked store.
· Be involved in stock control and management.
· Keeping the store tidy and clean, this includes hoovering and mopping.
· Responsible for security within the store and being on the look-out for shoplifters and fraudulent credit cards etc.
· Keeping up to date with special promotions and putting up displays.
· Assistants should be physically fit as they will be on their feet for most of the day and may be required to lift large amounts of stock.
Adhere to Scrapstore’s policies in relation to health & safety, equal opportunities, confidentiality etc.
Participate in regular supervision and team meetings as requested.
Participate in mutually agreed training.
Be punctual and reliable and inform the Store Manager if unable to attend.
Be polite and courteous in any contact with Scrapstore’s customers.
Basic Terms and Conditions of Employment
Hours: 30 per week
Tuesday 9.45am – 4:15pm, Wednesday 9.45am – 4:15pm,
Thursday 9.45am – 4:15pm, Friday: 9.45am – 4:15pm, Saturday 9.45am – 4:15pm,
The candidate will require:
Must be computer literate.
Proficiency in English.
· Knowledge of Email and Internet.
Ability to prioritise tasks and to work unsupervised at times.
To be part of a team.
To seek support of Manager if experiencing work related difficulties.
Communication skills - verbal and written.
Problem analysis and problem-solving.
Attention to detail and accuracy.
Having a friendly and engaging personality.
Comfortable working with members of the public.
Should have a confident manner.
Must be helpful and polite.
Assistants should be physically fit.
GCSEs at grades C/4 or above (or equivalent) in maths and English.